|The EPDM pipe boot is an economical and fast method
of flashing various roof protrusions (purchase the pipe boot that
corresponds to the pipe diameter - if flashing a high temperature pipe
such as a metalbestos chimney, ensure that you are purchasing a High
MMR prefers the on-site fabrication of the pipe flashing using the same
material as the metal roof (copper, steel or aluminum), however this is
not always feasible and the EPDM boot is a suitable alternative.
MMR recommends the installation of a sub-flashing "drip pan" beneath the
panel to effectively provide you with three (3) lines of defense against
1. EPDM boot
2. Metal roof panel
1. The EPDM boot has markings along the side denoting various pipe
diameters. MMR recommends cutting slight higher than the marking
to ensure a tight fit.
2. Ensure that the gap between the metal roof panel and the
protrusion is properly caulked with urethane sealant before installing
the pipe boot.
3. Apply urethane caulk to the underside of the fastening flange
prior to screwing the boot to the roof.
4. Using a hammer, gently flatten the fastening flange as you
install screws around the perimeter.
5. Once installed, seal around the base of the boot while paying
special attention to the upslope side as this is where ice, snow and
water will be most aggressive.
6. MMR recommends attaching a metal hose clamp around the top of
the boot in those areas that experience significant quantities of snow &